spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Monday, December 20, 2010

Help for the Holidays

Feeling Suicidal?

Dear Friend,

I'm so sorry you’re going through a hard time. Good news, though—there really is hope. Time will change your current situation. You’ll soon find that these dark feelings are temporary. Peace and joy are available to you.

I'm not promising that you’ll never have losses, but the pain will pass as you keep praying and seeking God. Keep your head high in this storm until the sun shines again. Soon this dark period of your life will be behind you.

There is hope. Jeremiah 29:11-13 says,
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

Recommendations:

1. Go to other believers for encouragement.
Find a church home. Join a small Bible study in a home or church setting. Surround yourself with others your age who seek God and study His Word.

2. Listen to inspirational music.
You can find Christian music in your favorite style. Try your local Christian radio station or one online.

3. Take time to read the Bible.
If you don't have a Bible, there are versions available on the Web that you can download. Or ask your church for assistance.

4. Read the book, Purpose Driven Life.
This is a great Bible study and will give you a sense of direction and purpose for your life so you feel plugged in.

5. Get help.
Call 9-1-1 or go to an emergency room if you fear you are no longer able to prevent taking your life. Allow someone outside your situation to intervene. Also, consider going for counseling. Seek out a pastor or other professional who will listen, care, and help you with your struggles. You are in our prayers during this difficult season in your life.

U.S. Suicide Statistics
(2005)
• 1.3% of all deaths are from
suicide.
• On average, one suicide
occurs every 16 minutes.
• Suicide is the second leading
cause of death for 25-34
year olds, as well as
college students.
• More people die from suicide
than from homicide.
• There were over 800,000
suicide attempts in 2005.

About 
GodTest.com

Sometimes good things happen suddenly. It was New Year's Eve 2003 when I considered all the people contemplating ending their life that very night. As a person who has also experienced a dark night of the soul, I understood how a crisis, circumstance or depression could create a state of hopelessness. It’s only by the grace of God that I survived my dark night to live a life of joy.

Sometimes all it takes to survive a dark time is a little hope and encouragement as well as a fresh perspective of God's love. That's when I decided to hook up my interactive website, GodTest.com, with the suicidal lanes of the Internet.

That night 20 people came to Christ. By Monday morning 100 people had escaped suicide and found faith. Two weeks later, we were at 12,000 hits and 2000 souls coming to faith.

I soon added other features to the site. With each improvement, we experienced greater statistics. More than that, we received personal reports to show the site served a purpose. A depressed pastor wrote, "Thank
you. This was the worst ministry day of my life. Your site helped me feel better."

A dad of a disabled child wrote, "You saved two lives tonight. You see, I was going to kill both myself and my child, but your story has encouraged me. The two of us will live."

Since then, we have seen thousands of suicides prevented and over half a million people have come to faith. Millions have found the encouragement they need. We’ve recently redesigned the site and hope this will attract even more people to the site and encourage them to draw close to God.

As the president of a tiny nonprofit, Right to the Heart, we are delighted to help and encourage so many.  Please visit the site, link to it from your online presence, and spread the word.

Linda Evans Shepherd
www.GodTest.com

Suicide Helpline: 1-800-SUICIDE
















books

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder for those of us not dealing with that this year... and the help for those of us that are!!

Merry Christmas, my dear!!